Registration of foreign citizens

Foreigners can acquire a Finnish personal identity code by registering for the Population Information System. In certain cases, foreigners will also be registered with a municipality of residence (in Finnish: kotikunta) in Finland.

Registration is requested by visiting the Local Register Office or any of the authorities mentioned below.

  • The request may be filed at any tax office, if a Personal Identity Code is needed for tax purposes.
  • The request may be filed when applying for a residence permit at Finnish missions abroad or at the Finnish Immigration Service. At the Finnish Immigration Service, the request may also be filed when applying for a residence card or when registering one’s right of residence as an EU citizen.

Nowadays, a Personal Identity Code can be issued also for foreign citizens residing in Finland under diplomatic status or those employed by the United Nations or other international organisations. However, these persons cannot be registered with a home municipality.

Additional information on conditions for the registration of foreign citizens and on documents required are available on the website of the local register offices. Information is also available on the websites of the Finnish Tax Administration and the Finnish Immigration Service.

Population Information System foreign citizen municipality of residence personal identity code registration